Monday, December 24, 2007
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Friday, December 21, 2007
Thursday, December 20, 2007
big year for music.eh?
well, everyone is trying to rate music which is funny. so i'll rate it too. now, if you're axing yourslf, "doesn't the wolfman realize after spending 6 hours today entering in the recipients of advertising awards realize that saying one creative concept is better than another only destroys the spirit of creativity?" well, yes. i do. and kinds are kind of cool. does good design and good music appeal to everyone? is it determined by the populous? these are questions i'd rather dodge. the worth is slippery, and i really don't mean anything in claiming these albums were the best. for me, i really rocked out to them. i loved them so much, and there is much more music that i've listened to this year that blows me away that i will probably not mention (i.e. daniel johnston, joy division and inca ore and the lemon bear orchestra) (ok, yea). but here's some bombastic shit, and i had to limit it:
TOP 2007 albums of 2007!
in no particular order
30) TRICK WHALE
prodigies in their own rites of hellish slaying. if you have not slaughtered your sexuality to this band, GO VISIT THEIR MYSPACE AND STEAL THEIR MUSIC!
well, their album this year sucked. at least compared to their other shtuff. while still rocking it, nothing makes me as happy as They were wrong so we drowned. something about my mindframe mainframe makes me feel rad as i chant along "we are the army you see through the red haze of BLOOD!" which also reminds me "of top of spaghetti, all covered in BLOOD! i shot my poor teacher! etc, etc." remember that one? sweet! let's go to the next album--
28)Lightning bolt z z z z z zzap zap!
actually its just lightning bolt. i don't think they came out with anything this year. not that i know of at least, but brian chippendale did have a bad ass book come out called NINJA! DO get it, it rocked. if you're living around here you migh have noticed a wood print poster calling them "lightnig bolt" with another 'n' carroted into the word. that show they played is 0 o, really the true reason i'm mentioning them. you will never be able to stop headbanging if you dont go see them. they perform live. the best show i've ever seen.
27)speaking of live shows: dinosaur jr. (AND AWESOME COLOR). dino played their rocking shit. beyond was the same as they've always been (which isn't too exciting because you should already have all their CDs -- and know this). AWESOME COLOR alwso rocked.. go see them and buy their album. stoner rock/metal that rocks metal. i don't know, maybe it's the other way around.
26. boris and sun o))) = altar.
did this come out this year? still listening to it.
25:> times new viking.
no body likes their live show. i loved it. loved dig yourself. i'm okay with paisley reich. starting to get a little annoying lately (buy not as bad as tiny masters of today whose name i's also confused.)
24) Jacqueline Taieb.
tghe french mademoselle. did not spell that corrrectly. just got it this year. you saw my video. love this album. ye-ye music, french 60's. mmm!@
23) Indian Jewelry was kind of overlooked because it came out late last year after everyone reviewed stuff. invasive exotics is awesome, but also remember to go to swarmofangels.com and check out other bands. ntx and erika thrasher are the same people as indian jewelry and they kill brains and puppiezzz> check out the wiggins too.
22) the wiggins.
i think its one dude. i think he draws and paints. electric set is also rad.
21) the bubonic plague
came across them, strangly not by looking for ariel pink stuff (whom they are in the same label with) but by looking for etchings of the bubonic plague from the middle ages. albrecht drurer (spelling) sorts of stuff. psychedelic darkwavy, yum!
20) obelisk - also with geneva jacuzzi from bubonic plague, also rock, and are even more crypozoological! check them!
19( black dice. kokomono.rockz. all your favorts from manoman on a whole LP! yay. time to trip dude. delay.
18. high places. came upon them from david horowitz(of xiuxiu_ and his photobook) rad stuff. check the book. these guys sound just so sea shore-y and new. the the purification symbolism of water!
17. high water marx. high water marks. = nothing new here, very watery, very fuzzy and poppy and elefante seis-y. gotta love.
16. belong. october language. -- apparently they are releasing a 60's psychedelia inspired album in the coming months. rumor has it. this stuff makes me feel like i'm in outer space and warm celestial waves are splashing over me.
15. grouper.... another great album to fall asleep to; an echo-y woman whispers and it sounds like you're in a cave tunnel listening to water voices drip drop into a glowing meditation pool.
as you know now, its the best album.
13. Comets on fire. rad sounds, all their musics good to rock to.
12) acid motherz. can you tell i like this kind musiz?
10. panda bear/ i know everyone loved it, but i do too. its great!
09. joe meek and the blue men. yum, far out. you saw it here and listened to the album here, you know what i'm talking about. radar dude producing music in the 50/60's has got to be rad.
08. laurie anderson. --- far outter. wild album. great commentary and apparently when MTV was started they played her video for "oh, superman" nonstop for an entire day. oh, how far MTV has sunk. probably the most famous performance artist in main stream media that i know, and the only one i know.
07. m83 -- drive through mountains and listen to it. kinda strikes fear into me but also very exciting. panic, adrenaline and existential approaches towards living and thinking.
06) caribou, andorra --- most overlooked looked on cd this year. great folow up to milk of human kindness. snaith came a long way since manitoba. rad!
05) mustafa ozkent . ridiculous turkish jazz funk. i loved pulling out of my garage in the morning and driving around leisurely on summer days or playing from my boom box on the street corner this summer. lots of funk packed in to a small little monkey.
04) pram. underwater outlandish electro (well, not vvery electro_ noises. yum! = isolated and desolate and fridged . but also mermaidy and underwater and joy full, alsmot like a celebration. if you think witch sounds like the smurfs or david the gnome you may think pram sounds like the snorks. in a great way. if you like them you may also like plone or the modified toy orchestra, if you like that, you may like the owl project.
)3) Hollindagan or whatever its called by animal collective. why did i put this down ever>
i ran out. soorry.
Sunday, December 16, 2007
...Auditory Visual Stimumation Devices use sound and/or light to alter the user's brainwave frequency resulting in an altered state of consciousness comparative to meditation and shamanic exploration.
Dream Machine...make your own:
~Originally created by Brion Gysin and Ian Sommerville in response to William Grey Walters' book, The Living Brain.
Everything you'll need:
obtain a cylindrical shaped object. place the cylinder on a record turntable. hang a light bulb in the center of the cylinder and then set the turntable's rotation to 78 or 45 revolutions per min. and ta-da! your very own dream machine. NOTE: dream machine is to be experienced with one's eyes closed. "The pulsating light stimulates the optical nerve and alters the brain's electrical oscillations. The 'viewer' experiences increasingly bright, complex patterns of color behind their closed eyelids. The patterns become shapes and symbols, swirling around, until the 'viewer' feels surrounded by colors. It is claimed that viewing a dreamachine allows one to enter a hypnagogic state." (vivid sensory experiences occurring in the space between sleeping and waking/ being awake and falling asleep.)
i am envisioning a sensory deprivation suit of some sort. the participant would be suspended in the air rather than in a tank of water. the suit is the same temperature as skin, just as the water in the tanks. suspension is achieved by equal force being exerted on the body in each direction. (think a complicated web of lines attached to the suit and connecting it and the wearer to the walls, ceiling, and floors.) the room is filled with dream machines of different sizes, all spinning at the same rpm. white noise is being played in the background.
"Wake-initiated lucid dreaming occurs when the sleeper enters REM sleep with unbroken self-awareness directly from the waking state.The key is being able to recognize the hypnagogic stage.
During the actual transition into the dream state, one is likely to experience sleep paralysis, including rapid vibrations, a sequence of loud sounds, and a feeling of twirling into another state of body awareness, 'to drift off into another dimension.' There is frequently a sensation of falling rapidly or dropping through the bed as one enters the dream state. After the transition there may be the sensation of entering a dark black room from which one can induce any dream scenario of one's choosing, simply by concentrating on it."
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Apophenia - the experience of seeing patterns or connections in random or meaningless data. "unmotivated seeing of connections accompanied by a specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness."
Pareidolia - a psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant.
Meme - an information pattern, held in an individual's memory, which is capable of being copied to another individual's memory.
Discodianism/ "The Principia Discordia"
Friday, December 14, 2007
Thursday, December 13, 2007
sand and snow make slush.
on a particle level this kind of interested me.
my shoes grind two things into another thing.
in fact the particles of my shoes are changing.
everything is growing and everything is changing.
the surface of the earth is barren.
there is dust that sweeps across the surface of the roads and the horizons.
i am in no condition to go to work...
there is no surface to the earth.
a professor at Bowling Green State University builds his own sensory deprivation tank. (Transcendence Device)
not a new idea:
experiments in sensory deprivation were going on in the early 1950s. John C. Lilly devised the first 'isolation tank' in 1954 for his research on neurophysiology. then in the 60s he began to experiment in the tanks with LSD, etc. etc. (he also did some crazy stuff with dolphins in attempt to establish dolphin-human communication)
GET YOURS TODAY!!!
the Samadhi Tank Company has been manufacturing and selling isolation tanks since 1972.
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
it looks like there is an error in the sky.
ominous ominous ominous
YOU CAN TURN THINGS INSIDE OUT TOO!
just open any picture in a photo editing program (ms paint, photoshop) and i think you can just press apple+i or control+i to invert it. then press apple+s to save it (if you want to save it).
disclaimer: some software may be different. i did not take these photos. this idea is not mine.
Sometimes you can spot things like this
Sunday, December 9, 2007
i think this is wildly fascinating. i wonder what he'll be like when he gets out? what kind of person is he in the first place? what brilliant art.
here's the website...I think.
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
>this being the case--our understanding of reality is, then, subject to the function of the body and the mind, and >therefore differs dramatically from person to person, experience to experience, etc. [see, the blind man, the drug addict, the human dream, and the sober persons--which of these realities is more correct...?]
>if this "reality" varies as such, how are we to evaluate it?
it is non-objective and not to be defined collectively or generally.
>reality is the product of our own interpretations and mind/body functioning, which is constantly in flux.
>"knowledge" as "the fact or state of knowing; the perception of fact or truth; clear and certain mental apprehension" is, then, a delusion. [see jean baudrillard]
>it is a delusion because there can be know knowing or general qualification of reality if the very nature of reality is that it does not adhere to any one set of truths and cannot be apprehended in any real way.
>our search for "knowledge," too, is a delusion--exemplified by our endless search for something which in all probability does not actually exist.
Sunday, December 2, 2007
ACTUALLY IT'S WITCH! HA!
stoner metal at its most fanciful. psychedelic doom. kill goblins, pillage a viking town. just make sure you rock out while doing it.
- "Seer" - 7:57
- "Soul of Fire" - 3:37
- "Black Saint" - 6:02
- "Changing" - 6:42
- "Rip Van Winkle" - 4:43
- "Hand of Glory" - 5:28
- "Isadora" - 6:00
Saturday, December 1, 2007
to learn more about tricking your bike go to http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/11/29/nyregion/1129-BIKES_index.html